Implementing artificial intelligence (AI) into your workflow is a fantastic way to boost productivity, employee satisfaction, and creativity. And it couldn’t be any easier to do when there is such a wide range of applications available, both for fun and commercial use.
For example, text-to-speech software is everywhere. There are so many platforms on the market, which was valued at $2.8 billion in 2021. With endless choices, not even a small budget or lack of resources could stop you from propelling your creations into the future.
The right tools are out there, but how are you supposed to find them? We will help you streamline your discovery process and find your best Speechify alternative and the features that make each platform noteworthy, including some of their delightfully low prices.
The 6 best Speechify alternatives
The best text-to-speech (TTS) technologies convert text into realistic AI voices. These become audio files for you to distribute as you wish. As you can probably imagine, there are many uses for these, depending on your unique requirements. For example, you can:
- Use a voice-aloud reader to check your content for spelling errors.
- Assist people with dyslexia or learning difficulties by incorporating TTS as an e-learning tool.
- Utilize natural-sounding voices in things like videos, audiobook production, podcasts, or advertisement voiceovers.
- OCR (optical character recognition) TTS enables the visually impaired or blind to have documents read aloud (web pages, too) to them.
Applications like Speechify offer many of these capabilities, but some reviewers report that the quality is only there when you commit to an upgrade. While the app works for many, this might be an important limitation for budding content creators and startup businesses. That’s why you need a Speechify alternative or two.
Cost is something many people are unable to compromise on. Because of this, they may feel as though they are missing out on something valuable. Let’s take a look at what else is out there that will get rid of frustrating FOMO for a price that feels right to you.
With powerful machine learning techniques, you’ll wonder what you ever did before you downloaded Descript. The app is primarily used as a video editor for small businesses, but that doesn’t mean its voice generator and text reader aren’t worth exploring as well. Plus, this AI tool can be used for both personal and commercial use, so there are no limitations there.
In fact, there are endless notable AI features available. Below are some of the most-loved attributes by us and its loyal users.
- The feature called Filter Word Removal will eliminate all of the “ums” and “uhs” when recording. This can save you from having to re-record because of a few awkward pauses. Doing this will make you seem more professional and smooth.
- Text-to-speech can streamline your creative process, but that doesn’t mean you won’t have to add your own captions and subtitles. However, you can take it a step further with Descript because the tool can automate transcripts.
- Whatever and wherever you’re creating from, you’re bound to sound like a pro. Editing tools such as echo cancellation and audio quality enhancement will give you a professional edge over the competition.
- Descript is used by huge well-known brands such as Vice, Shopify, and HubSpot, according to their webpage. When organizations who can afford to buy the expensive packages use this platform, you know it must be a good one.
- Video and voice recording transcription is available in multiple languages to suit your needs.
- Easily add or edit background music.
So, what will this app set you back? This is a free alternative, but this version will come with some pesky limitations. The good news is that an upgrade to the “Creator” plan will only cost you $12.00 per month. You can also go beyond this and sign up for either the “Pro” or “Enterprise” pack. While they are more expensive, they are still generally affordable.
Natural Reader is an impressive app known as the “#1 text-to-speech solution”. With a rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars, it would be difficult to argue with that statement. Neural deep learning has allowed the premium voices to mimic humans in a very mesmerizing way.
To produce this natural-sounding speech, all you need to do is paste your text in. But there are other details that make this tool special, so let’s explore a few of them now.
- The tool can be utilized in an educational, commercial, or entertainment context. You will have the right to use your product in any way you wish because it is licensed.
- Natural Reader can be found as an online app, an app for mobile devices, or as a Chrome extension. There will be access wherever you need it, making the tool a very convenient choice for users who like to travel or have a busy schedule.
- There is an option to add emotions to your different voices, including excitement and fear, to really bring your text to life. This is great for a podcast or social media video where you may need to engage your consumer or tell a story. High-quality voices typically need this added touch.
- The AI Smart Filter knows when the text is a heading, footer, figure, chart, or table. The speech converter will take this into account to make reading more fluent and efficient.
The Natural Reader free plan is where you’d begin when signing up. But don’t worry about potential future hidden fees. Any upgrade you decide to try isn’t on a subscription plan. Instead, you’ll only have to cover a one-time payment which is much easier to budget for.
Some of the plans are costly, but you won’t need to consider them until they make sense with your financial situation. The pressure is completely lifted, so you can just enjoy Natural Reader for what it is. But when the time is right for growth, the table below shows a comparison of the pricing options.
3. TTS Reader
It isn’t easy to find a platform that is both user-friendly and powerful. Luckily for you, we did the work ourselves and found TTS Reader. This assistive technology is an ideal Speechify alternative that can produce speech synthesis in seconds, leaving you with high-quality voices in whichever format you require.
In terms of functionality, it is hard to beat this application. Here are a few facts to prove it.
- The tool is highly compatible. It doesn’t matter which technology brand you prefer, you’ll find a version for all mobile devices, including Android and iOS. Beyond that, your options include a Mac, web player, legacy player, and a Chrome browser extension. It can also translate anything from ebooks to Microsoft Word documents to PDF files and EPUBs.
- TTS Reader can read out scripts in multiple languages,which will help your brand reach wider audiences.
- If you prefer to work on the train, often end up in a cafe without decent WIFI, or need to create on your daily walk, don’t worry about how this will affect the app’s performance. It works perfectly offline, so you don’t have to compromise on your location.
- A fast-paced and robotic voice is sure to turn consumers away. You can set the speed and tone of the voice chosen to make sure it matches the comprehension level of your audience and feels as human as possible. Because natural sounding voices are almost always the goal!
There is no need to download anything or sign in, so you can rest assured knowing that there won’t be any surprises to your bank account. In fact, the whole thing is free. Bear in mind that commercial use will require an upgrade, but for a fixed cost of $2.00 per month, there isn’t much to complain about. Below is a list of what is included in that upgrade.
WellSaidLabs is a cloud-based text-to-speech tool that implements the most state-of-the-art deep learning methods to enhance products and experiences for the user. It has become a go-to resource for people in the business and creator industry because of its premium quality.
Here are some of the reasons why this tool might be the one for you.
- The WellSaid Avatar allows cloning of your own voice, exclusive to your account, so you can stick to your brand guidelines and remain recognizable. That’s an easy way to ensure your content has natural-sounding voices.
- Once you upload your script into the application, it will generate high-quality audio files that can be shared across teams and projects. Anyone who needs access will get it in real time, improving employee satisfaction and the culture of teamwork.
- Need something done quickly? No problem. WellSaid has an impressive text-to-speech conversion speed, so you can publish as soon as you need to.
- Unlimited integrations mean you can connect the API to any number of internal tools or services.
The company offers a range of different price points to support the “Maker,” “Creative,” “Team,” or the “Enterprise.” You can choose which one best suits you at the time, upgrade as necessary, and grow together as a partnership. Below are the potential fees to expect.
There are some other things to consider that might sway your decision to switch to this Speechify alternative. You can trial the plans before you begin so you don’t have to worry about regretting your purchase. Also, the option to pay monthly or yearly will help you maintain good control of your finances. If you do opt for an annual subscription, you’ll save money in the long run: 10%, to be exact.
To save up to 90% of your time and budget, you need to know about LOVO. The text-to speech service offers lots of different products, such as AI voice generation and voice cloning, that are scalable and customizable.
When you’re delivering your message through a professional user interface with natural-sounding voices, you’re guaranteed to get premium results that captivate your audience. The application isn’t trusted by over 500,000 professionals and producers for no reason.
Want to discover what keeps them coming back? Here are a few of those special incentives.
- One thing that makes LOVO unique is the strong community that surrounds it. As we mentioned before, there is a huge number of creators who use the tool. That is a lot of people willing to share their work, help you, or connect with your brand.
- If your AI voice isn’t delivering natural-sounding speech, your consumers aren’t going to fully appreciate the message you’re putting out there. With this tool, however, each actor has up to 30 different emotions to choose from.
- If everyone’s marketing and videos sounded the same, there’s no reason for your audience to engage with you specifically. LOVO’s editing features on Producer Mode will make the audio unique to your use. You can adjust where the sentence pauses are, which words are emphasized, and the speed at which it’s spoken.
- Sometimes you need an extra spark of inspiration when searching for your next big creation. There are use cases, tutorials, blog posts, FAQs, and social media accounts for you to engage with, so you’ll never find yourself in a funk again.
The free plan doesn’t come with commercial rights, but it can be a great way of practicing with AI when you don’t have the funds for more costly applications. Still, the pricing options are very reasonable for those who need the tool for content creation or business purposes.
Can you imagine transcribing a file with an hour’s worth of content in 2 minutes without spending a cent? It’s possible with Kukarella, a text-to-speech online app that functions on game-changing technology and machine learning algorithms. Such cutting-edge capabilities sound expensive to try, but their market segment is actually 100% small businesses.
Companies like Google, Amazon, and Gameloft all use this Speechify alternative for their transcribing and voiceovers, so you’ll be in good company when you sign up. But it isn’t just the users that make Kukarella so great. The brilliant features below contribute, too.
- Inspired by the screenwriters that use the tool, creators developed a Dialogues AI. This feature allows users to narrate text using multiple voices instead of just one.
- Kukarella can organize your media files efficiently, making your content easy to find. Your projects will see boosted productivity if everything from the written text to the voice recordings is in one place. Also, said files can be saved in either a WAV or MP3 format, whichever one suits your needs the best.
- When you create a free account (no credit card required), you will receive bonus characters and minutes. This will help you to get the most out of the application and determine if a paid plan is worth budgeting for.
- The capabilities will seem endless. You can take your pick from over 900 voices in 130 languages, so whatever you create will feel diverse, relevant, and realistic.
One of the draws of this Speechify alternative is that there is a free version. Though this option doesn’t grant commercial use, there are a number of upgrades that do. For instance, the Pro plan is a small cost of $15.00 monthly, and the Premium plan is $35.00 per month. Also, you are able to cancel any of them whenever you need to, which is sure to reduce financial stress.
Tips for using text-to-speech technology on a budget
There are many disadvantages to not innovating with the latest technology. You give your competition an advantage, you feel out-of-date, and you miss out on the benefits that they bring. For instance, 54% of organizations reported cost savings as a result of using AI.
But when a lack of money is one of the most significant barriers to growth, what are you supposed to do? First of all, don’t panic. There are many ways to overcome these obstacles without winning the lottery. Let’s take a look at some of our best practices.
- Create a content calendar to give yourself a strong visual of your upcoming projects and campaigns. Doing this will ensure there are no surprise expenses, giving you the peace of mind you need when signing up for an app subscription.
- Consider an open-source TTS solution. Although these are not always as user-friendly, they are often free to download, use, and modify. If you have a decent AI skill set, this could be a cost-saving option for you.
- If they’re being offered, take advantage of free trials and demos. They can make you feel more confident about your finance management, and you can compare different platforms to determine which one is more worthwhile. You might even find that a cheaper alternative works better for your brand.
- Make sure you’re clear about your goals. What is the purpose of wanting to introduce text-to-speech software into your strategy? Doing this will make sure you don’t pay for features you won’t use and that you won’t sign up for an application just because of its popularity. When goals are in your mind, you’ll conduct better research.
Keep your options open
There is always something new just around the corner, including a new Speechify alternative. From exciting new launches, updates with breakthrough features, and promising improvements to existing software. Even the last few months have brought us news of numerous emerging innovations.
You don’t have to miss out on these because you’re only just getting started. Sure, some will come with expensive subscriptions or up-front costs. But when you commit to doing your research and engaging in the community, you can find some affordable hidden gems.
The world of text-to-speech is vast, and there are tools like Murf, Textaloud, and Amazon Polly that we haven’t even touched upon yet. While there’s plenty to explore there, hopefully, one of the above Speechify alternatives will help your business, hobby, or passion thrive.
And who knows, you might prefer them over their pricier competition. There’s only one way to find out, so go and try them for yourself. You won’t regret it, that’s for sure.
It can be difficult to find all of the best AI-powered apps when they’re not in one place. Lucky for you, they can now be found in one convenient location over at Top Apps.