We know artificial intelligence (AI) is inherently changing the way our world works. From healthcare advances to an education revolution. This tech is altering our lives, and some say for the better.
But are you tired of seeing the doom posts about robots and apocalyptic scenarios? Us too. So, why not explore some of the more fun aspects of AI? Yep, that’s right. It’s time for some comedic relief.
We’re going to be taking a look at the 4 top AI joke generators and reviewing just how funny they can be. All you comedians out there, you don’t have to worry. We’re pretty sure this is an industry that remains safe from a robot takeover. But if you’re looking for something to kill time, or impress your friends, then the following AI generated jokes may be perfect for you.
How do AI joke generators work?
Most AI joke generators are chatbots, which are computer programs designed to simulate human-like conversations. They use a combination of natural language processing (NLP) and machine learning techniques to understand and respond to user input. Here’s a general overview of how they work:
- User input: The chatbot receives input from the user in the form of text or voice. This input could be a question, a command, or any other message.
- NLP processing: Natural language processing is used to analyze and understand the user’s input. This involves breaking down the text into tokens, identifying the intent (what the user wants) and extracting key entities (relevant information) from the text. NLP algorithms help the chatbot understand the meaning and context of the user’s message.
- Intent recognition: Based on the processed input, the chatbot determines the user’s intent. This involves matching the user’s input to predefined intents or categories that the chatbot has been trained on. For example, if a user asks for weather information, the intent could be “GetWeather.”
- Response generation: Once the intent is identified, the chatbot generates an appropriate response. This could involve retrieving information from a database, accessing external APIs, or running custom business logic. The response can be in the form of text, voice, or any other medium supported by the chatbot.
- Natural language generation (NLG): NLG techniques are used to convert the generated response into human-readable text. This involves structuring the response, formatting it, and ensuring it sounds natural and coherent.
- Output to user: The chatbot delivers the generated response back to the user. It could be displayed as text in a chat interface or spoken out as a voice response, depending on the platform and application.
- Learning and improvement: Chatbots can be designed to learn and improve over time. They can incorporate feedback from users to refine their responses, update their knowledge base, and enhance their language understanding capabilities. Machine learning algorithms can be used to train the chatbot on new data and improve its performance.
4 AI joke generators
We’re going to test out the top 4 AI joke generators out there at the moment and decide whether they’re worth trying so you don’t have to waste your precious time.
We’ll be asking each app to tell us a knock-knock joke, a short funny story, and a dad joke before comparing the results and assessing the functionality. Are you ready to have your funny bone tickled? Let’s go!
Whilst this tool isn’t primarily focused on jokes, it uses a chatbot that applies machine learning and natural language processing (NLP). This means it can understand prompts written in simple language.
The downside is that you have to sign up. You can start for free, but you’ll still have to input some info before you can get cracking. Once you’re in, you’ll notice a lot of the templates are for paid-plans only. But don’t worry, we created our own template just for jokes. Below are the results.
To keep the results fair, we told the AI to write knock-knock jokes without any other context.
Pretty good, right? The boo who joke is a classic, but the alpaca joke wins originality points. It also only took a few seconds!
A dad joke:
Similarly, we’ve heard the atom joke before, but the tomato quip has everything a good dad joke should. If you want to upgrade to one of the pricing plans, you’ll be looking at at least $4.99 a month, which isn’t bad for something that’ll give you a good laugh and a few funny one liners to tell at your next party.
Unlike Easy-Peasy.ai, Punchlines.ai is set up purely for laughs. It’s a free-to-access website with a simple text box where you input the start of a joke and, yep you guessed it, the AI generates a punchline.
Our prompt simply read ‘knock knock’ and we let the website do the rest.
Are you as disappointed as us? It seems the language model may need a little tweaking before this website can be called a joke generator. It’s also worth noting that we didn’t include some punchlines because they were incredibly inappropriate. It’s a thumbs-down from us.
This was a little more tricky as we needed to enter the opening line. So, after some thought, we went with: I’m writing an article about AI joke generators. Just to get a bit meta.
Admittedly, we couldn’t specify that we wanted it in the format of a dad joke. But even so, there’s no zingers here. Maybe some additional details would have helped generate some laughter?
ChatGPT is software developed by OpenAI. For free, you can use GPT-3, but if you want a more advanced AI model you’ll have to pay for GPT-4. The site has a simple user interface where you can request the AI to generate anything you’d like (text-based). Let’s see how developed its sense of humor is.
It’s not a bad attempt! It’s certainly better than Punchlines.ai… because it makes sense. Let’s see how it fairs with a dad joke.
I mean, it does what it says on the tin. It’s definitely a dad joke. While ChatGPT’s generated jokes aren’t necessarily original jokes, the ease and simple UX make it a great option for cracking out some corkers at your next social event.
4. Bored Humans
Thankfully, someone made the website boredhumans.com, which collates 100 fun AI pages to waste time on, including image generators. There are so many wacky games to play and more under construction. One of these happens to be a joke battle, so we thought we’d try it out.
I challenged the AI by entering my favorite knock-knock joke:
Interrupting co –
Unfortunately, it didn’t return a knock-knock joke in return. So I resorted to its classic chat feature and asked it specifically for one.
It was pure coincidence that it was another cow-related joke, but we liked it. Now time to see whether it understood the concept of a dad joke.
It’s worth noting that this took a good few tries. It seemed to get stuck churning out the same two dad jokes over and over again that we had already seen. Finally, it gave us this. I mean, it’s free and requires no sign-up, so it’s a fun site to play around on. You’re not going to be ROFLing, but you may exhale a small chuckle.
Where to get started?
These are just a few AI-generated joke sites to get you started, but there are plenty more to discover out there. Whether you’re a wordplay guy or love a simple pun, we’re sure you’ll find a site that tickles you.
To explore the world of AI jokes further, head over to our extensive library, where you can find the perfect app for you.
If you want to stay up to date with this ever-advancing technology, subscribe to our newsletter and never miss the latest.